Friday, January 29, 2010

Los Pajaros (redux)

There's the awkward couple, the sober couple, the odd couple, the prideful man with the yearning girl, and the three happy happy happy couples. On a Saturday morning in the temple, I am blessed to see them all.

I came this morning simply because I was awake. Had I known that it would be the most apple-crisp golden delicious Autumn day in 28 years, I probably would have gone somewhere else. To the mountains. Or the park. Or my mother's backyard. But at 5am it is dark and still and equally as ominous as it is promising. So it was the temple. The safe choice, even on this most cranberry of days.

There in the Celestial room, a lone twenty-something early riser can feel quite like a curry on Thanksgiving day. Eccentric. Sweaty. Wholly out of place. But not today. For some inexplicable yet undeniably sensed reason, today is a good great granddaddy day. In fact, even here in the Casa de Dios, surrounded by angels and saints, I can only describe it as a bona fide damn fine day if there ever was one. For twenty minutes it is me. And the Samoan Queen sitting across the room. And no one else. And despite all of her grace and graciousness, the Queen does not give me even the slightest hint that the entire sum of life is about to be played out before my eyes.

In they come.

The most picture-perfect bride and groom I have ever seen. Not in contrasting black and white, but both dressed in the color of heaven. It is their faces and their hands. It is their eyes. They are not disgustingly happy. They are exultingly happy. Every inch of smile on that girl's face is equaled by that young man's own. I am happy just to see them. An unnoticed matron seats them on a couch and leaves them to their own best every moment of their life. There is no way that my presence could intrude on this. From where they sit, I do not exist. Even the Queen has been mentally exiled. There are just smiles, and faces, and hands, and eyes.

More couples are ushered in, one by one. This one is sober. Stoic and self-assured. There are no smiles like the first couple, but there are plenty of hands. And eyes. And happiness does not skip a beat. Then comes an awkward couple. Both standing on stork legs and looking on with deer eyes. But they are not uncomfortable like I think. They are just funny. They make each other laugh. They poke and they coo and they smiles smiles smiles. Then another perfect picture. Then a middle-aged man a full 6 inches shorter than his middle-aged bride-to-be. But when they sit there is no shortage of eyes. Or hands. Or even feet for this giddy couple that has been waiting oh-so-long for this perfect October day. I am glad they waited. They are glad they waited. God is glad they listened.

Then comes in a kid. His hand lays open at his side. A girl with a face like a New England beach grasps desperately at his lifeless hand. Her eyes are full of clouds. It has been raining. And I suspect there will be many more rainstorms running down that Cape Cod face long after I'm gone. She is searching for his eyes. He is coolly scanning his surroundings with all the false bravado of a junior high drop out. He is probably 25 years old. He is 12 years old. For the second time today, I swear in my head. "Damnit boy! What are you looking for? What on this Great Green Earth could you be looking for at this moment? Is it your confidence? If so, you have at most ten minutes to find it before you'll need it every day for the rest of your life."

I take a few breaths and continue my mind lecture.

"Listen, I don't know you and I am not a prophet. I don't have to be to tell you that the entire sum and substance of what you're looking for in this life is standing by your side. If you will stop being cool for twenty minutes, you will make your grey-eyed promise the happiest girl in the world. And she will work to make the infinite minutes that follow happier than you can imagine. For one day, for twenty minutes, be a dork. Smile. Cry. Feet hands face eyes kiss. This is it. She. The Joie de Vivre. She is about to promise you her existence. And more importantly for you to understand, you are about to promise her yours. Let her crush you with those grey eyes. Let her swallow you with that quivering line of a smile. She. And then everything."

And then...

They sit down. She buries her head in his neck. He gives a quick glance around...throws caution to the wind...puts his arm around her shoulders...rests his head on hers...and closes his eyes. Queen looks over and gives me a knowing smile. Jesus looks down, his eyes also closed, and nods.

***

I walk out of the temple to find that the dark morning has turned to Autumn. The air is light and the light is flowing in amber sheets across the square. Two birds carefully raise out of a golden ball of oak. The branch where they sat shutters for an instant at the memory of their weight. With no more communication than the happy beating of their wings, the birds trace a winding and parallel path through the sky until, sooner than I can fathom, they disappear over the temple.

2 comments:

The Airharts said...

I really like this post...

Me said...

Garred - I will comment on this post rather than your poetry. I love, love, love this post. I feel like you posted this same story last year - or maybe you just shared it with me at some point last year. In either case, as weird as it sounds, this post helped me immensely to figure out my life. This is a beautiful story.